glSuzSRaSGMPB_Gxc_09Koo7g6M TOTAL WORLD ENTERTAINMENT: Saina Nehwal's Swiss Open triumph inspired by Sachin Tendulkar.

total world entertainment fan page

Thursday 22 March 2012

Saina Nehwal's Swiss Open triumph inspired by Sachin Tendulkar.

Saina Nehwal's Swiss Open triumph inspired by Sachin Tendulkar.

HYDERABAD: It was Sachin Tendulkar's 100th international century that "inspired" India's ace shuttler Saina Nehwal to overcome a form slump and win the Swiss Open recently, the world number five said on Tuesday.

"In fact, when he scored that 100, it was the semifinals day (in Basel, Switzerland). I got a lot of inspiration from him. I told myself I also have to do well. I can also win the title...that also happened. I really thank him for giving me that inspiration on that day," Saina said.

"It is a historic landmark and I don't think there is anything more for Sachin to achieve," she added.

Saina defeated third-ranked Shixian Wang of China 21-19 21-16 in a thrilling 48-minute contest, which helped her defend the women's singles title.

"Sachin Tendulkar is a legend. He is a great player. Everyone knows that. Nothing more I can say about him. I respect him like God. He is inspiration to all the sportspersons in India."

Asked if Tendulkar deserves the Bharat Ratna, Saina responded in positive.

"I have been saying that from last year. He deserves it. He is Bharat Ratna for me. He is Ratna for everyone. Whether he gets it or not, he is Ratna for all of us.
HYDERABAD: After a year's lull, Saina mania is back in business. Silencing her critics, who had written her off after last year's bad patch, the 22-year-old Hyderabadi produced scintillating form as she decimated Asian Games and former All-England champion Shixian Wang to retain the Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold title on Sunday.

Saina was at her best after returning home on Tuesday as she bared her heart and soul in a free-wheeling chat with TOI. Excerpts

How did it feel after retaining the Swiss Open?

Playing at Basel is just like playing in India. I never missed home as the stands were full of Indian supporters. In fact I was floored when all of them sang happy birthday after my semifinal win. I had even cut a cake that day and it was just amazing. Everyday, they encouraged me and used to give me a number of Swiss chocolates. Moreover, I am a big fan of Roger Federer and winning two titles in a row in his country is just exciting.

Do you think you answered your critics by beating two Chinese players on your way to victory?

It's a fact that many had written me off after the poor patch I had in 2011. But I learnt how to deal with criticism. In fact, my coach Gopichand and my parents helped me to deal with criticism and told me not to get disheartened.

My poor form was due to nagging injuries and as such I don't have to prove a point to anyone. I only want to answer my critics with my victories or racquet.

Tell me how many players started winning big titles at the age of 16? But people still criticise. My job is to play and win as many titles as possible.

Did you think you could beat Shixian Wang?

Why not? I have been playing very well for the last six months. I had even told in several interviews that I am back to my best. With a bit of luck I could have won the All-England quarterfinal against Li Xuerui. I have been running the Chinese close for quite sometime and I have the confidence of beating them.

Now it is more or less clear that the three Wangs - Shixian, Yihan and Xin - will represent China at the Olympics. Who is the toughest of them?

All of them are tough but are beatable. In fact, I beat Shixian and Xin, but Yihan got the better of me always. If I play like how I did at Basel I can beat all of them.

What's the difference between the three?

Shixian and Xin are good rally players. Yihan is an attacking shuttler. However, many feel Xin is the toughest. I want to play as many matches as possible against the trio before the Olympics. Hopefully, I would get a few chances against them in the next few months.

How do you rate your Olympic chances?

I am very confident now. I was waiting for one big win. My coach and I have been working hard to reach this level. Moreover, I had enough time to prepare for this season. If I maintain this level I can win the Olympic gold.

No comments: